Five Fitness Tips for Traveling
Sometimes, it can be a little challenging to fit exercise into your travel schedule. The majority of us are vaccinated, and with things opening back up, traveling is definitely something we all will be doing more of whether it's for work or for pleasure.
So, how do keep ourselves on track towards our health goals while constantly going from one place to the next week after week?
The key is to know what you'll be doing ahead of time. If it's planned and scheduled into your calendar, you're more likely to stick to it as it's already part of your itinerary.
Here are your 5 ways to fit in exercise while you're traveling for whether for business or pleasure:
1. Walking- Start moving those legs! The easiest way to stay active in general and while on the go is walking. Take the stairs, park a little further, or even get up for a quick pace and stretch during your business meeting. It's low impact, and you burn calories without even knowing it! Your goal is to shoot for 8,000-10,000 steps on the daily
2. Find a Fitness Center- Do a little research before your trip; chances are the hotel that you're staying at has a gym inside. If this is the case, you can prep yourself for a simple gym workout. Take advantage of the amenities you're already paying for! If you're staying with friends and family, ask to use their guest pass to their local gym-- a great way to spend more time with your family and friends.
3. Sign Up for a Fitness Classes- Many destinations offer unique fitness class experiences like yoga or workouts on the beach or even spin and boot camp at local studios. See what classes are available in the area you're going to and sign up before you arrive so that it's already integrated into your schedule. If it's already in your itinerary, you're more likely to actually follow through!
4. Download Workout Apps- There are many fitness apps out there that provide you with workouts straight to your laptop or phone. I've personally created my program, Personal Trainer in Your Pocket, with a library of 30 different quick 15-minute body weight workouts streamable from mobile to help busy professionals stay on their fitness game . This is a great on the go tool to use especially if you want to workout in the comfort of your hotel room or even take it outside to enjoy the scenery and get a sweat session in.
5. Take Advantage of Hotel Offers- The hotel you're at could offer outdoor sessions including hiking, surfing, skiing, swimming, etc depending on your destination. This is a great way to stay active, and also have fun with everyone you're traveling with.
At the end of the day, there are always different ways you can fit fitness into your travels. There is something for those who prefer the indoors and for those who love the outdoors. The key to successfully staying on track and active while traveling is to actively plan ahead your activities. If you schedule it, you've committed to it, and will have an additional reason to follow through to make it happen!
If you need more ideas to stay active, feel free to reach out to me on instagram at @stephaniegiang. I'll even shoot over a free quick workout for you to do on the road!